Tamako Love Story Anime Movie Review

(Adapted from my MAL review)


"Everyone loves somebody."

Has there been anyone you loved? If you had to tell that person that you will soon leave them, did you confess them on a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing? I have been looking forward to Tamako Love Story for the longest time. Not only did I really love Tamako Market for its cuteness and the fact that it was produced by KyoAni, I also wanted to hear Mochizou finally confess his love for Tamako. I won't give away any spoilers (other than that previous sentence, if it really counts as a spoiler), but I can really say that I truly enjoyed Tamako Love Story.

For those of you that don't know what Tamako Market, the prequel for this masterpiece, is, it's an anime that premiered in January 2013 that centers around a girl named Tamako Kitashirakawa. She is actually the daughter of a mochi shop owner, and every day in her life is pretty much filled with sunny happiness. One day, she meets a talking bird named Dela Mochimazzui. Dela has claimed to have come from a far away land in search of a bride for his prince.

Wait. Dela has already left the shopping district at this point. Let's move beyond that. Anyway, Tamako has a childhood friend, Mochizou Ooji, whose family runs a rival mochi shop. Throughout the course of the series, Mochizou has been in love with Tamako but is unable to tell her how he feels. I have always been rooting for Mochizou, and even though Tamako Market wasn't able to satisfy me, Tamako Love Story, being a movie centering around romance (hence the title), did.

Okay, let's get onto the real review. I have always loved KyoAni's art and animation, so that was a big plus. There is also outstanding character development in Tamako Love Story, especially for Tamako and Mochizou. The story in the movie is also one that makes you anxious about what will happen next. As in Tamako Market, the voice actors did a great job with their roles in this movie. The ED song, "Principle", was well-performed and well-sung by Aya Suzaki. The other ED song, Tamako's version of "Koi no Uta", was also great, but of course, so was the original version by Tamako's father!

Overall, Tamako Love Story was a very satisfying and highly enjoyable movie. I recommend it to anyone who has watched Tamako Market, especially to those who desperately wants to see some romance between Tamako and Mochizou. I couldn't praise this movie enough, as it is, without a doubt, the most satisfying and probably best anime movie - no, overall movie - that I've seen this year.

Grade: A+

Comments