Phineas and Ferb: Last Day of Summer Review

Before we begin this review, please keep in mind that I'm only reviewing the series finale. I am not reviewing Phineas and Ferb as a whole (although I may re-watch the entire show and get a review out). Oh, and there will be spoilers in this review. They may be minor, but they're spoilers; thus, you should walk away if you haven't seen this episode yet. Got it? Well, let's get started, shall we?


Ah, summer. It is a great thing for all of us, but inevitably, all great things have to eventually come to an end. Sadly, a certain well-known Disney cartoon named "Phineas and Ferb" is certainly no exception. So exactly are Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh going to wrap up the boys' summer vacation? Well, anyone who watched this episode, which aired just a few minutes ago (I turned on my computer to write this review pretty much as soon as it ended), knows how now.

The episode starts with Phineas and Ferb building giant playground equipment to celebrate the last day of summer vacation. Of course, their older sister, Candace, attempt to bust them, but she fails rather quickly. After that, she goes to return a DVD to Vanessa, who just so happens to be the daughter of Dr. Doofenshmirtz, the evil scientist who is the enemy of Perry the Platypus, Phineas and Ferb's pet. (The chain of connections here is freakishly long here.) There, Candace activates Doofenshmirtz's Do-Over-Inator. Soon, time is repeating itself over and over again, and only Candace and Doofenshmirtz know of it. Candace uses this opportunity to try to bust her brothers..... but as a result, rifts in the space-time continuum are appearing and causing things to disappear, with people forgetting they even exist. Oh, I just said "things". That's quite rude of me, as Phineas and Ferb themselves end up disappearing as well. Now, Candace must try to get her brothers back and end the time loops. However, time's a-wastin'; in fact, with each loop, time becomes shorter and shorter......

I used to love Phineas and Ferb as a child, so when I found out that it was going to be ending, you won't believe how shocked I was! Of course, I knew it had to end eventually; as I've said myself earlier, all great things have to come to an end. From there, I started watching the series again, whether it was episodes I'd already watched or episodes I haven't watched before *coughActYourAgecough*. It was still as much fun to watch as I remembered. Thus, I had absolutely no intention to miss the finale. Now, it's over, and what did I think of the conclusion?

Short answer: It was a great way to wrap up the series. Long answer.....

Well, of course since there were episodes that aired before this that took place after the last day of summer vacation, I knew what bad things were going to happen, Phineas, Ferb, and all of their friends were going to make it out okay. Still, as I watched this monumental episode, I was on the edge of my seat pretty much the entire time, waiting anxiously for what was going to happen next. It was all so suspenseful, with wonderful character development thrown into it, especially for, in my opinion, Doofenshmirtz. He was always the kind of typical evil genius that you'd see in any cartoon, but when Vanessa said that he's pretty much a nice guy pretending to be evil..... whoa. Just whoa. The whole concept as a whole..... actually, the whole time-loop thing has been done before. I've seen it in two other shows, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" and "Space Dandy". What makes the concept of this episode different from those two (and it pains me to say it, considering how much I love Haruhi) is the whole space-time continuum thing being pointed out. It gives us a clearer warning sign that time is not meant to be messed with. Finally, the way they wrapped it up..... wow, did they wrap the whole series up well! The last song in this episode, which was the last song in this series, "Thank You For Comin' Along", reminded us of the many misadventures Phineas and Ferb have had and we, the viewers, have tagged along on. It obviously broke the fourth wall at certain times, but I personally love it when the fourth wall gets destroyed at times.

Overall, Phineas and Ferb: Last Day of Summer was a great way to wrap up Phineas and Ferb. Once again, I'd like to thank Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh for creating this series that has entertained many people around the world for nearly eight years. However, although Phineas and Ferb's summer has ended, summer is just getting started for a bunch of people! I suggest that we make the most of it!


And just for the sake of it, I'll post this song at the end!

Comments