The Fluffy Movie Review

(NOTE: I wrote this review the day after I watched this movie, which actually happened over a month ago. I'm only posting this now because of how I finally managed to free it from the clutches of my school's computer. Note to self: never type a review at school ever again.)



Oh, boy, this is going to be a hard review to write for so many reasons. One reason is that I had watched this movie last night with my dad, and I normally write reviews immediately after I finish something. Another reason is exactly what this movie is about. Truth be told, I didn’t think a movie that was completely about stand-up comedy was going to work at all. However, it turns out that it does work if that stand-up comedy is actually funny. The stand-up comedy in The Fluffy Movie is actually funny, and that’s what made a movie like this work.

The Fluffy Movie centers around a comedian named Gabriel Iglesias, also known as Fluffy, at one of his shows. Yeah, that’s pretty much it. Oh, wait, that’s not just it; there are flashbacks at the beginning of the movie (portrayed by actors) that show how Fluffy’s parents met, when he was born (and his father wasn’t there), and something that happened when he was twelve (something that I’m assuming made him want to be a comedian). After that, though, it pretty much just Fluffy telling the audience his stories that are already funny, but the accents he does to portray the stories makes it even more funny and engaging. Some of these stories include diabetes, gay men (no worries, this movie is rated PG-13), or his step-son.

As I’ve seen on Wikipedia, this movie has gotten mostly mixed reviews. Now, although my review of it is mostly positive, I can understand why it would have mixed reviews. As I said before, I’m not sure how a movie that is completely about stand-up comedy, with everything that happened being told to you instead of being seen right before your eyes, could work. Truth is, it really isn’t much of a movie; in fact, anyone who watched the movie probably could have been sitting in the audience and watching the show from there instead. That might have changed the perspective you could have seen this in, but hey, if you saw the actual show in the movie and liked it, you could go on Netflix and watch it again from there to see how the perspectives compare!

Ahem. Well, let’s get on with the actual review. Gabriel Iglesias, known comically as Fluffy (probably because of how “fluffy” he is), is a genuinely funny guy. Even in the stories he tells to the audience, he seems like a funny guy.  The stories he tells the audience is very realistic, and I had an easy time picturing what happened. He uses various different accents to personify the people he knows who appear in these stories, and although I don’t actually know him or any of the people in his life, I thought those accents were very solid and laugh-inducing. The last story he tells in the movie is actually quite touching, and I enjoyed that one the most. I won’t reveal everything because that would be a spoiler, but it really was quite touching.

Overall, The Fluffy Movie was a funny movie. If movies that are completely about stand-up comedy don’t bother you at all, I’d recommend you to check it out. Well, you probably weren’t able to go see the actual comedy show at the time that it happened, but at least if you watched the movie, you can’t say that you completely missed it!

Grade: B+

Comments