Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race (Season One) TV Series Review

(Warning: This review might contain spoilers. Please be cautious when reading this review.)
A race around the world.... Something like that can be found on a show called The Amazing Race. However, there is no way you can find a show like The Amazing Race or any other reality show to be an animated series..... Wrong! There's the original Total Drama series, which was my all-time favorite show at one time (I still love it to this day), and there's also The Ridonculous Race, its spin-off that just finished airing tonight. Of course, from beginning to end, I watched The Ridonculous Race, and I must say, while I had my concerns at first, I quite enjoyed it.

Basically, Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race (or simply The Ridonculous Race, as I like to call it) is a non-real reality show hosted by a man named Don. (Yes, Chris McLean has been replaced as host, but this is a spin-off, not a new season of Total Drama.) Thirty-six contestants arrive in eighteen teams of two, racing to various places around the world (starting with Canada) and competing in various challenges. The grand prize is one million dollars (in Canadian money, of course). Oh, and did I mention that while most of the contestants are all-new, four contestants from the original Total Drama series (Noah, Owen, Geoff, and Leonard) were in this season, as well?

Truthfully, I had my concerns when I found out about this spin-off. While I thought The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, a spin-off of my favorite anime, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, was awesome, spin-offs are typically not as good as the original series, so I had my concerns. Upon watching the first preview, though, I started to get quite excited, which brings me here. Now, I will say this; The Ridonculous Race is not a new season of Total Drama. However, it still turns out to be an enjoyable series. (What is with me, liking spin-offs of shows that I like?!)

The animation is quite solid, and the voice actors fit their characters' roles well, even the ones who are returning from Total Drama to voice a new character in The Ridonculous Race. Most of the new contestants are quite fun to watch. I admit, even the Ice Dancers, a team that I'm pretty sure everyone and their mothers (including me and my mother, and I really do mean that) have come to hate, were somewhat entertaining to watch; they weren't boring characters to watch, for sure.

I didn't really like the Tennis Rivals, though. They would constantly make jokes that, to me, were really mean-spirited and unfunny. Either that, or I'm just too young to get the jokes. Either way, I was relieved when they got eliminated rather early in the series. Enough has been said about these two.

A few relationships were shown in this series, and a lot of them had great chemistry. The one I'd have to say I enjoyed seeing the most, though (and I warned you about the spoilers), was the one between Noah and Emma. The reason why this would be a spoiler is because this relationship didn't really set sail until episode 7, when Noah fell in love with Emma at first sight. That's all I'm going to give away, as I don't want to spoil too much, but I'm just going to say this. I was genuinely interested in this relationship the whole way through, they are well-suited for each other, and those moments were Noah would just get all goofy and love-struck around Emma are just funny as heck. I actually like both of them as individual characters.

Anyway, so what do I think about the premise of The Ridonculous Race? Well, it's made loud and clear that it's a parody of The Amazing Race, for sure, and I have never even watched The Amazing Race! However, it's still quite an interesting premise, especially since it's a cartoon. It's only through The Ridonculous Race and its mother series, Total Drama, that you can see a mix between a cartoon and a reality TV show. Overall, Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race is a great series, although I don't think it lives up to the original Total Drama series. If you are a fan of the original Total Drama series, this is a definite not-miss. I'm looking forward to a possible season two of....

The Ridonculous Race!


Comments