My Life as a Rhombus Novel Review

(Warning: This review may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk. Oh, and I've read the book again since the time of writing this review, which I've finally got around to posting, so this review is based off of my first impression. My second impression was pretty much the same, though, so why am I even saying this?)


Society sees teenage pregnancy as a terrible thing. The thing is, I actually agree with society; when you're in high school and trying to get good enough grades to at least graduate, how are you supposed to juggle that with taking care of a child? I mean, if you want to know my personal opinion on the matter, I think it's fine to date in high school, but it's not fine to have sex, especially at the risk of becoming pregnant. That's why I try to avoid having sex (successfully so far), but unfortunately, some high school students aren't so smart. Oh, why am I going on and on about sex and teen pregnancy? I'm supposed to writing a book review here!

Well, folks, here I am to give you my review of the young adult novel, My Life as a Rhombus, written by Varian Johnson.

Rhonda Lee is a high school senior who had made the mistake of going through teen pregnancy as a freshman. After getting an abortion, she strives to focus on her studies, get into Georgia Tech, and avoid boys at all costs. She is also a tutor for younger kids, and she strictly does not tutor high school students. Well, that is, until she is forced to tutor Sarah Gamble, a junior at her school who is struggling in trigonometry. Rhonda is especially unhappy with this because Sarah is in the popular clique, a clique she does not want to go back to for reasons I stated earlier in this review.

Speaking of which, Rhonda notices that Sarah has been acting strangely and immediately recognizes the problem; she's seven weeks pregnant. This is a secret that Sarah hadn't even told her own mother about yet. With this secret on her hands, Rhonda ends up becoming friends with Sarah, whom she supposedly hates. She continues to tutor her and helps her with her pregnancy.... oh, have I forgotten to also mention the blossoming romance between Rhonda and Sarah's older brother, David? Well, now that's an important aspect of the story!

When I had to read a book for a school assignment, all I did was read the summary on the back of the book, and I picked it, although I didn't immediately recognize what Sarah's symptoms, which were mentioned on the back of the book, meant. (Of course, I haven't experienced it firsthand, nor do I plan to until I get married. Who knows when that'll be, though?) Needless to say, this book caught me by surprise. There wasn't a moment where I wasn't wondering what would happen next. With that being said, the story told in this novel was very enjoyable, not to even mention believable.

What made this story even better was its realistic characters. Rhonda, who narrated the story, is a strong protagonist, and I could really understand what she was going through. Sarah is also a surprisingly likable character; she's a shining example of how appearances don't mean everything. David is a rather protective guy, and although I respect that and really liked his relationship with Rhonda, he did take that protectiveness a bit too far at one part of the book. This book also has a bunch of likable supporting characters.... well, except for Christopher McCullough, the boy responsible for Rhonda's pregnancy in the past. I know that he's one of those characters who you're supposed to hate, but I just overall can't stand guys like him!

If there is one issue that I have with this book, it's its lack of resolution. Rhonda and David's relationship had a great resolution, but that's pretty much it; other important aspects of the story aren't resolved. For example, in the end, although she did almost go into labor, Sarah's baby still isn't born in the end; we don't even know its gender because of her refusal to know just yet at one point. Rhonda also has a serious falling-out with her dad, and I would have loved to see them truly make up for it. Do they, though? Pssh! Now that's just crazy talk! My point is, this book should have had an epilogue or maybe even a sequel to tie up the loose ends that still remain.

Despite that issue, My Life as a Rhombus is overall an excellent novel. People who are too offended by the subject of teenage pregnancy.... I won't force you to read it, but anyone who isn't should try finding this book and reading it. What I wouldn't recommend doing, though, is actually doing the nasty until you're married, and perhaps, this book shall show you why!

Comments