Big Order Anime Review

(Adapted from my MAL review)



"Order! Be a piece of crud!" (....Okay, that wasn't an actual quote.)

Big Order? I think the title should be "Big Disaster", and it's not just because of the fact that there was a disaster ten years before the events of the anime. It's because the anime is a big disaster. The only reason why I decided to watch it is because it's by the same mangaka as "Future Diary"; even though I've currently only seen three episodes of that anime, I've been enjoying it. I also watched the Big Order OVA; it was really confusing, but I thought, "Hey, maybe the series will make more sense?" Of course, there have been times where my intuition was wrong, and unfortunately, this is one of those times.

Big Order follows a teenage boy named Eiji Hoshimiya. Ten years ago, he caused the "Great Destruction" because of a wish, and with the Great Destruction came the Order users, who have powers that are born from a wish. One day, he meets Rin Kurenai, an Order who wants to kill him because the Great Destruction killed her parents. Eventually, Eiji becomes the leader of an organization that declares war on other countries to become an independent country, and he sets off to create a world where his wheelchair-bound sister, Sena, can live happily.

....Wait a second. Why does all of this sound familiar?

Oh, right. It's because Big Order has a story that is clustered with cliches. A crazy, revenge-bent girl? Pretty sure I've seen that somewhere before. An organization that the protagonist is declared the leader of? Yep. A wheelchair-bound younger sister? For Pete's sake, even though they're in wheelchairs for two different reasons, Sena is a rip-off of Nunnally in this aspect! Not only that, but Big Order's story throws in some unnecessary plot points at times. (For example, who gets pregnant from having your ribbon touched?! What I just said is barely even a spoiler, because the baby went away later!) What's even worse than the story, though? The characters! They barely get any (reasonable) development, and they all just come off as one-dimensional. I especially hate the main character, Eiji; in a nutshell, he's a not-so-smart version of Lelouch.

Throughout the anime, I've seen some bugs in the animation department, but it's not horrible overall. Asread did an okay job with the animation for Big Order. The voice acting isn't bad either, but some of them either overdid it or didn't show a lot of emotion. I wasn't really a fan of the ending theme, "Kobore Sekai Oware", either; it was an okay song, but it didn't really grab my attention. If I was the kind of person who just skips opening and ending themes of anime, I think I would have definitely skipped it. As for the opening theme, "DISORDER", I actually thought it was sort of cool. Visually, I didn't think it was much, but the song itself was kind of catchy.

Overall, I wasn't a fan of Big Order at all. If you're a Future Diary fan who absolutely MUST be Sakae Esuno's other works, and ONLY if that's the case, I would recommend it to you; otherwise, I'd advise you to stay away. After all, this anime isn't what the doctor ordered; it'll most likely kill some of your brain cells. Big time.

Comments