Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou Anime Review

(Adapted from my MAL review)


If you live in an apartment complex, you may be forced to interact with the other people who live there. That is okay; you may end up becoming friends with them. In fact, if you get lucky, the one you love may be living in that apartment complex.... or depending on the situation, you may be unlucky. Anyway, this anime was one of the anime I planned to watch back in Spring 2014 but unfortunately missed out on until now. Now, after watching all 12 episodes, I regret not watching it before; it's just that good.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is my review of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, known in English as The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou is set in a boarding house called the Kawai Complex, run by an elderly woman named Sumiko. The protagonist of this anime, Kazunari Usa, moves to the Kawai Complex due to his parents travelling overseas for work. In the library of his school, he falls in love with a girl who's reading a book, and it turns out that this girl, Ritsu Kawai, also lives at the Kawai Complex. He also meets the other residents of the Kawai Complex, such as Shiro (a masochist who is actually his roommate), Mayumi (a woman who has zero luck with men), and Sayaka (a college student who loves toying with men). Life goes on in the Kawai Complex, as Usa interacts with these people as well as trying to get closer to Ritsu.

One thing I should say about this anime is that it has BEAUTIFUL animation. Brains Base did a solid job with the animation, and the character designs are also solid. The opening ("Itsuka no, Ikutsuka no Kimi to no Sekai" by fhána) and ending themes ("My Sweet Shelter" by Kana Hanazawa, Rina Satou, and Hisako Kanemoto) are quite catchy, and I like listening to them. Neither of them are the best songs I've ever listened to, but they fit the tone of this anime very well. The voice acting is also very good, especially Kana Hanazawa as Ritsu; she really nailed her role!

The story in this anime.... admit it, you guys; it's been used before. I'm not saying that it's a bad story; it's just cliche, with an unsatisfying conclusion that could make anyone who really liked this anime think, "OH MY GOD, WHERE'S SEASON TWO OF THIS?!" Believe me, those are my thoughts right now.

Anyway, this anime has a variety of characters who are quite likable. I think the character I liked the most was Ritsu. It's not because she is the love interest here; it's because I completely relate to her. I'd personally rather read books than interact with other people. I also really liked Usa; it's obvious that he really cares about Ritsu, and I rooted for him the whole way through. The supporting cast is also a very interesting one, especially Shiro. His masochistic behavior made for a lot of funny moments.

Overall, I really enjoyed Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. If you're in the mood for a nice, relaxing rom-com, this one is right up your alley. It would be quite fun to see what goes on in the Kawai Complex!

Comments