Jitsu wa Watashi wa Anime Review

(Adapted from my MAL review)



Is it even possible for something that is very cliched to still be very enjoyable? For example, a lot of anime involve vampires, secrets, harems, and mutual feelings to never be confessed, and those are just among what this anime contains. Even though I knew this, I really looked forward to watching this particular anime when the July 2015 season rolled around; I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was going to be fun to watch. Sure enough, I was right, although I wasn't able to catch up to it in time for it to end. Well, now that I've finally been able to finish it, what do I think now?

Ladies and gentlemen, it's no secret that I'm now reviewing "Jitsu wa Watashi wa", known as "Actually, I Am...." in English!

Jitsu wa Watashi wa follows a boy named Asahi Kuromine, who is referred to as a "leaky basket" due to how bad of a liar he is. One day, he finds himself faced with an important secret; his classmate and crush, Youko Shiragami, is actually a vampire! In order to avoid getting her pulled out of school due to her secret being exposed, Asahi tries his best to keep Youko's secret and ends up befriending her in the process. *coughfriendzonecough* Along the way, he discovers the supernatural secrets of others, such as the class rep, Nagisa Aizawa (an alien), and Youko's childhood friend, Shiho Shishido (a "wolf man"), and he must keep those secrets, too. Geez, that's a lot of secrets for one leaky basket to keep!

I bet you'd look at the summary and think, "Haven't I seen this somewhere before?" As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, Jitsu wa Watashi wa is packed with cliches from fellow romantic comedy anime. You know what, though? That didn't stop the comedy from being hilarious or at least amusing; even if a joke didn't get me laughing out loud, I would at least be smiling the whole time! Its cast of characters helped this show, too; most of them are very fun to watch. Even though the romance between Youko and Asahi ends up not progressing much throughout, it was still fun to see them together.

The animation for this anime was pretty great. I haven't seen too much of TMS Entertainment's anime, but out of the ones I have seen, this is definitely some of the most appealing I've ever seen out of them, with its bright colors. The voice actors definitely nailed their roles, as well. I especially liked Inori Minase as Nagisa; I really felt that her voice fit her character. The opening theme, "Himitsu wo Choudai" by Ars Magna, is such a fun song to listen to and one that definitely fits this anime; the ending theme, "Ienai Ienai" by Hilcrhyme, is also a very nice song to listen to.

Overall, Jitsu wa Watashi wa is definitely a fun anime to watch. If you like romantic comedies and don't mind the cliches, I'd definitely recommend for you to check it out. Even if you don't like it, though.... well, it's no secret that we all have our own opinions!

Comments